Re: weight of a Mk1 Scirocco?

At 07:27 PM 9/6/98 EDT, Shawn C Meze wrote:

>On Sun, 06 Sep 1998 16:53:01 -0600 "I.Mannix" <mannix@secretignition.com>
>writes:
>
>>That sounds reasonable.  Take 70 pounds out for gas(7#/gallon), 2020. I
>>believe that.  I just looked at scirocco.org, and I simply do not
>believe
>>the weight listed for the Scirocco GTI claimed by some British
>>magazine(Car?) of 1764 or something.  That just does NOT seem right to
>me.
>

>I think you forgot to realize those stats are for EURO models and not US
>spec Scirocco's. Add to the weight of our cars the US spec bumpers,
>reinforcements in the doors, DOT safety glass and I think you find to the
>weight difference.

250 pounds?  Eh, I don't know about that.  I don't doubt they're lighter,
but bumpers - never weighed it, but my rear bumper felt to be about 35
pounds, 50 at MOST.  So, if you took the bumpers OFF, there's 100 pounds.
That's way optimistic, IMHO.  I could weigh one sometime.  Door beams?
Can't be too much.  Glass?  Again, I don't see anything totalling 250
pounds - 100, MAYBE.  Could be wrong, but I can't see a 250 pound weight
gain by adding bumpers(biggest gain), door beams and arguably thinner
glass(do you know how much thinner it is?  If so, some clever person could
assume that glass weighs X per square foot at Y thickness, then figure out
how much less a windshield weighs....).  I just don't see it, unless the
actual CHASSIS is different.  It might be, I admit, but I'm more prone to
thinking that some screwy math occured, or a simple typo.  Anyone on the
list with a European Scirocco who could weigh it?  TTYL!

I.Mannix(car must be better, I have "time" for this;)
- --