Re: Suspension advice(lots of questions)

At 05:31 PM 9/6/98 -0600, Ryan Bailey wrote:
  I also need to put in a new fuel pump, $170.00.  Since I am
>strapped for money help me come up with a solution! Should I:

What's wrong with the f-pump?  IME, they either work or they don't - I'd
guess the car is at least running at this point.  My fuel pump was noisy
for a few years - I *just* replaced it, mainly because I did'nt want it to
fail.  It still works fine, just a bit noisy.  If it is dead, or the car
won't accelerate, buy a new pump!  I've also seen new-looking f-pumps and
pressure accumulators in the junkyard - if I felt the need to replace one
and I were short on cash, I'd probably go to the junkyard and look for a
newish pump - it seems that people around here have the misfortune of
crashing their car right after they put some money into it OR replace a
bunch of expensive stuff, not fix the problem and junk it.  Something to
think about - it is an inherent risk, but if I really could'nt afford to
spend the full $170 on a pump(or felt like spending the money on something
else;), I'd probably gamble $20-30 on a used but new looking pump.  Trick -
leave it in the nice, rusty housing, make it look crappy that way;).
Something to think about!

>1)  Go all out and get a stage 1 suspension kit from new dimensions.
>comes with all the nuespeed sway bars and tie bars, along with boge
>turbo gas shocks/struts, springs.  Are the boge any good?  $789.00

Boge are not terrible. I have a bigger problem with the Neuspeed(not
"Nue":) springs than I do the shocks - the springs are simply too low,
IMHO.  $789 seems like a good price - $360 for swaybars, $180 for springs,
$150 for stressbars, $100 for shocks - not bad, I guess.

>(I would do this, but I don't know if the boge are any good)

They're OK.  Me personally, I'd skip the rear bar(use a stock one for now)
and put better shocks on for similar money.  I think you'd be happier with
good shocks, stressbars, springs and front swaybar.

>2) Every thing listed above except with yellow konis for $999.00 (kind
>of out of the question)

Too bad, the Konis are great shocks.  They are spendy, though!

>3) Just get Bilsteins and nuespeed springs for $529.00  Are bilsteins
>any good?

They're excellent shocks, but I prefer Koni, as my Bilsteins were a bit
stiff on small bumps, like dirt roads/cracks.  The Konis seem smoother,
initially softer.  They are MUCH better than Boges.  How about Bilsteins,
front swaybar, springs and stressbar?  The rear bar is nice, but IMHO, the
front bar benefits the car more than the rear.

>I eventually want to go to an autocross and race my car for fun.  I
>don't plan on getting to into it, because there is only one a year.

Where do you live?  If you are in the United States, I _know_ there are
more autocrosses than that - even Alaska has a good program going.
Colorado has 9 autocrosses, 6 time trials, a Tour, a Pro, a two day Trials
event, two schools - that's just the SCCA's program.  Then there's the
CMC-RMR, they hold 6 or so events annually.  The Pikes Peak Sports Car Club
has 4 or 5 autocrosses, 3 ice races.  The Mercedes Club has 4 track events
annually.  The Z club has a few.  The Porsche Club has 2 autocrosses open
to all makes.  Just for insight!  Most metropolitan areas have thriving
autocross clubs - Minnesota area has some great programs, so I've been
told(more than we do in Colorado), Southern California(and Northern) both
have strong programs, New England has lots going on, Florida seems to have
good activity, Texas has something - the list goes on.  I cannot think of
many areas which have NO autocrossing - even Montana has a few events
annually.  Way north Maine might not have much.  Let me know where you are
- - I'd bet there's an event at least monthly in your area!

>want a car that handles well on the street but is not too harsh, but at
>the same time when I take it through the curves can take the challenge.

This is SUCH a subjective topic!  I've been driving my Rabbit(DSP car) on
the street a lot recently, and initially, it seems stiff - I get really
used to it.  It is a LOT stiffer than a car with lowering springs - but I
don't mind it.  Try to find cars with similar suspensions as you're
considering, see how you like them.  Hard to say, but most don't mind a
lowered car's ride.

>Would Konis be an overkill?

Absolutely not.  Great shock, and they ride REALLY well.

Are the bilstein sports good shocks?

Excellent.

  At
>this point I really don't know what to do.  Please help.  Sorry to ask
>so many questions at once.

I'd try to do this, in order -

Shocks - Bilstein or Koni
Front swaybar(22mm, not convinced that Neuspeed is the best)
Lower front stressbar
Springs
Upper front stressbar
Rear swaybar.

They're all important - but that's the order I'd buy them in.  Sciroccos
handle pretty well with stock springs & good shocks/swaybar.  Lots to think
about - I know I did'nt buy everything at once, my bank account cannot
handle that!  Good luck!

I.Mannix
- --