fuel enrichment module

Hey all,
    Wired up my "fuel enrichment module" for my '84 GTI today (OK, it's
not all mine- Brian helped me a lot). It consists of two relays and not
much else. (Brian- I had to use the second relay, just a normal 4-pin,
because I forgot that if you just wiretapped switched ground to the
ground side of the cold start valve, then, when the cold start valve is
cold, you're running ground through the system, because the cold start
valve is grounded when it's cold. Hence, you're activating the cold
start valve until the engine warms up, and the engine won't run at idle
with the cold start valve going. So I had to put a relay in to send
ground to the cold start valve at full throttle).
    Advantages:
    slightly more power at high rpm's at full throttle
    Disadvantages:
    worse gas mileage
    bogging when using WOT for more than a few seconds at low rpms
(below 3000rpm, say in third gear)

    What the module does is activate the cold start valve when the WOT
switch is activated. One could say that if you're using WOT at low
rpm's, you should shift down anyway, so maybe the only downside is
decreased gas mileage, and who cares when you're going for more power,
right? I'm sure it's far from the optimum mixture, but I made a few runs
back and forth with it connected and disconnected, and it does make a
small difference. Small, but noticeable. I'd like to do six 0-60 runs
with a GTech, 3 with it connected and 3 with it disconnected. That would
be proof positive of whether it helps or not. Eh, it was fun, and a
learning experience, and it only cost me $5. Anyone who's interested in
the schematic for it, email me and I'll see if I can draw something up.
It's very simple.
    later,
    -Josiah

- --