Re: Radiator/block seal--comments?

On Tue, 27 Oct 1998 20:44:50 -0500 "Carlyle Fitzgerald (Carlee)"
<clfitz@inetone.net> writes:
>Hi, y'all...
>
>I just replaced the water pump on my '81, and now there's a leak that I
>can't find *anywhere*.  It isn't at the water pump, not at the
thermostat
>or any of the the hoses.  It seems to be coming from the back of the
motor
>and is dripping from the tranny drain plug.  This scares me a lot,
because
>the reason I replaced the water pump in the first place is the car
>overheated; when I got it home (short drive, luckily) I saw it leaking
like
>mad from the weep hole.  I'm afraid the block is cracked.

OK, its probably a heater hose. You had better hope its a heater hose. If
not, then its a freeze plug. Ive never seen one go bad in a VW before but
I know it _could_ happen. Only one thing to do but get under there and
start looking!
Its probably a heater hose, might even be the heater temp valve thingie
leaking. Either way, find the leak first before you ever think about
dunping some stop leak stuff into the radiator. Thats a bad way to fix
stuff.

>I noticed it this evening, after replacing the pump and refilling with
>coolant.  I didn't do a real good job looking for the leak because it
was
>getting dark.  (BTW, this job *sucks* on a car with AC.)

That aint no sh!t either. After you do it once, its much easier the
second time.

              Shawn Meze
86' Jetta GLi           82' Scirocco GTi
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and