Stiff accelerator pedal

Hi everyone,
can anyone possibly suggest a remedy for the following:
the accelerator pedal on my '88 GTX is *very* stiff, makes it tricky to drive
smoothly in traffic.  Me and my dad have had a look at it, we've tried taking
a winding off the throttle return spring, but that makes the throttle too
loose, ie, you put your foot down, and the car keeps accelerating, even when
you've taken your foot off the gas.  So that idea was scrapped.  Is there any
way around this problem other than buying a new throttle cable?
TIA,
Jamie
http://members.aol.com/egj123
- --