Re: Stiff accelerator pedal

EGJ123@aol.com wrote:

> Hi everyone,
> can anyone possibly suggest a remedy for the following:
> the accelerator pedal on my '88 GTX is *very* stiff, makes it tricky to drive
> smoothly in traffic.  Me and my dad have had a look at it, we've tried taking
> a winding off the throttle return spring, but that makes the throttle too
> loose, ie, you put your foot down, and the car keeps accelerating, even when
> you've taken your foot off the gas.  So that idea was scrapped.  Is there any
> way around this problem other than buying a new throttle cable?
> TIA,
> Jamie

Well, is your accelerator sticking to the carpet?
Is the pivot on the pedal and lever attached to it move freely?
Disconnect the end of the throttle cable down there, and disconnect it from the
throttle body.  Does it move back and forth freely?  If so, open the throttle
body with your hand.  Does it open and return freely?  My guess is a binding
cable due to rust or a kink.

jim

- --
Jim Buck