LCD Dash......Can It Be Done??

Could a LCD monitor replace the job of all the analog dials in Mk2
European Rocco?? (1989 Scala 1.8 KJET Inj......to be a little more
precise!!)After having a look at the Electrical wiring diagram
last night,a monitor could be used,powered by a processor capable
of taking the work.Most of the messages sent from the engine to dash
are in the good ole analog messages,but adding a AC/DC converter,
would let the processor process the information.Obviously, the
processor would have to be programed,which,so I'm told would be very
easy indeed,even putting in extras like custimising your dash every
time you get in the car!!! More information about the cars performance
could be given aswell,in numerical and/or analog type by simply adding
a sensor in the area to be monitored.Coolant temp gauges in more than
one part of the cooling system,air temp,road temps and even the car stereo
could be linked into it.
To me,the dials in VW's are quite distinct,I suppose like a trade mark,
(you would know by seeing the dials alone that is was a VW) but I feel
thats its time cars caught up with technology and join the digital
revolution,opening opportunities for an already superb piece
of engineering, with the added great benefits in digital technology.
(well....aye....eh perhaps getting a little bit excited there!! :)  )
Anyway,does anyone on the list have comments,opinions or ideas about this???
I think it could be done relatively easy,probably the hardest part being
fitting the LCD itself.Would it need the whole dash converting,or will
the LCD fit in the original gap where the old analog dials once proudly
sat??

Cheers,

	Ewen

	              Ewen Marshall