Re: LCD Dash......Can It Be Done??

On Oct 19,  2:08pm, Ewan Marshall - Frans Maas Linlithgow wrote:
> Could a LCD monitor replace the job of all the analog dials in Mk2
> European Rocco??

Theoretically - yes. In practise - probably not.

>(After having a look at the Electrical wiring diagram
> last night,a monitor could be used,powered by a processor capable
> of taking the work.

An LCD monitor is not exactly cheap, and gives problems of viewing angle /
contrast (esp. in bright sunlight conditions).

> Most of the messages sent from the engine to dash
> are in the good ole analog messages,but adding a AC/DC converter,

Well, a DAC...

> would let the processor process the information.Obviously, the
> processor would have to be programed,which,so I'm told would be very
> easy indeed,

Errr... who told you this? Producing a graphical instrument display will take a
certain amount of programming - getting it to run in real time (anything else
is useless in a vehicle) is not a trivial task.

> even putting in extras like custimising your dash every
> time you get in the car!!!

Again, more design effort...

> More information about the cars performance
> could be given aswell,in numerical and/or analog type by simply adding
> a sensor in the area to be monitored.Coolant temp gauges in more than
> one part of the cooling system,air temp,road temps

All this is true.

> and even the car stereo
> could be linked into it.

Well, that depends on the stereo.

> I feel
> thats its time cars caught up with technology and join the digital
> revolution,

IMHO technology should only be added if it improves the usability of something.
I don't think this is true of an instrument cluster.

> with the added great benefits in digital technology.

Those benefits being ...?

> Anyway,does anyone on the list have comments,opinions or ideas about this???
> I think it could be done relatively easy,probably the hardest part being
> fitting the LCD itself.Would it need the whole dash converting,or will
> the LCD fit in the original gap where the old analog dials once proudly
> sat??

Physical positioning of the LCD is, in fact, fairly easy compared to the amount
of work needed to realise such a system.

Aside from the R&D to get it working, you then need to think about legality;
the speedo needs to be accurate to avoid speeding tickets, and you need to come
up with an anti-tamper system for the odometer.

I would not undertake this project as a one-off; if any major car manufacturers
want me to undertake a feasability study, please email ;)

Vic.

- --
| Vic Watson                              SGS-THOMSON Microelectronics |
| Applications Engineer                   1000 Aztec West, Almondsbury |
| Chameleon - UK / USA                    Bristol, BS12 4SQ, UK        |
| Phone: Direct  [+44] (0)1454 611409        _________                 |
| Phone: Main    [+44] (0)1454 616616       /         \|\_             |
| Fax:           [+44] (0)1454 620688      /            @ \            |
| Voicemail:     [+44] (0)1454 611409     /  __     //-\___)           |
| Email: [Internet] vicw@bristol.st.com  /  //\\ _-/ +---************  |