Re: Tire fell off!

At 05:58 PM 10/16/98 -0400, you wrote:
>I have a question that i desperately need answered soon.  Is it possible
>to bleed the front brakes on a 16v without taking off the tires?  I ask
>this because I had the local VW dealer bleed my brakes and driving home,
>one of the front tires fell off(while driving!), and now i have damage to
>the rotors, a big crack in the body and, the wheel is also messed up, plus
>who knows what else is wrong?  the car was resting on the rotor for about
>10 minutes, so what else could have been damaged?  So If you tell me that
>you have to take off the front tires to bleed the brakes then I will know
>that the VW dealer messed up and they can't blame it on me.  Thanks a lot.

Take another car in, ask them to bleed the brakes, watch, and maybe even
sneak a photograph(video would be better yet!) of them pulling the wheel.
If you use wheel locks, ask them if they will need the key to remove the
wheel. Tape record this conversation. This is technically illegal and I
think inadmissable in court, but it can still help to discredit them. Give
this evidence (duplicates, keep the original) to them, along with the
repair bill. Be prepared to go all the way from the start, or just take it
like a man. My experience with stuff like this: People SUCK! ALOT! You need
to quickly gather alot of evidence, keep something in reserve, so that you
can use it to discredit them later, by proving that they are lying in court.

  I guess it all boils down to how far are you willing to go with it. At
the very least, asking about the wheel locks and recording the conversation
would be a subtle way to get the truth out of them. Then try approaching
them (politely at first) to see if they will cover the damage, on the odd
chance that they are honest and willing to own up to their mistakes. The
other stuff just depends on how much time/money you're willing to invest to
get your stuff fixed.

Good Luck,
Brad

- --