Re: cold starting

You could check like a million things, but you might want to check if you cold
start valve is operating. The most common cause of this failing to operate is a
faulty time thermoswitch that isn't grounding out when it's cold. But it could
be like a million other things- possible your fuel pressure accumulator,
judging by you saying that pressurizing the fuel system beforehand helps. Or
maybe you have a very small leak in the fuel system that is causing you to lose
pressure when you leave it sitting for awhile.
    Good luck!
    -Josiah
    '84 GTI
    '86 Scirocco 8v