Irish Scirocco Problem?

Hi everyone,

I received the following email today, and thought I would put it here, in
case one of the Europeans on the list could offer more advice.  If you can
offer some help, please email this lad directly, as he is not on the list.

- --- Beginning of Forwarded Message ---

Hi, I found your site while searching  for info on  the problem described
below & thought you might be  able to help...

I am thinking of buying an '87 Scirocco GT (Not GTI) It is in good overall
condition, looks all original & has only 82000 mls on the clock. However
it has a problem which causes the engine to cut out intermittantly when it
warms up. The seller said that he had  the carb(s?) rebuilt (& it certaily
looks like they were) but that the problem still persists. It looks like
he had a new fuel pump fitted as well but he didn't tell me this.

The problem seems like fuel starvation as opposed to an electrical problem
as it gradually splutters to a stop instead of cutting out dead and can be
restarted if coaxed only to cut out again...

Also I had a mechanic friend look at it who said it was worth buying and
that it was likely to be an electrical problem related to the carburettor
(?), as in a valve or something like that...

Aaaaaanyway, I am still wondering whether it could be a money pit or
whether it is something simple and could be sorted out easily. And more to
the point, if you know of anyone who has had or who has heard of  this
problem before, and of course the solution to it. Also if you could
recommend any "further reading" on the issue I woud be very greatful

Please e-mail to karl.doyle@doyle-hotels.ie or karl.doyle@doylehotels.com
with any info

Thanks in advance
Karl Doyle