Re: valve cover

At 11:59 AM 10/15/98 -0700, Cory Fonger wrote:
>if im gonna replace my valve springs and cam im not gonna hafta take
>the head off or pull the engine out at all am I?
>
>-cory

No, you don't. But you will need to put some compressed air into the
cylinder to keep the valve from falling into the cylinder.  You would do
this by screwing a fitting of some sort into the sparkplug hole and then
putting in the air.  A cheap way to get around this is to get some nylon
clothes line and feed some in through the spark plug hole(engine not at
TDC), maybe a foot or so. Then turn the engine over, with a wrench-NOT the
starter,  until it comes to TDC or until it doesn't want to go anymore.
You can then work on that cylinder's valves.  Just repeat for the next
three.  Don't forget you need a valve spring compressor too.  While you're
in there might as well replace the oil seal too. Good luck.

JohnÝWorden
Old Town, ME.
 '98  Dakota cc Sport 4x4, 3.9 auto, Intense Blue,
 '84Ý Scirocco (under construction) Brakes and Suspension currently
 '69  MGB Roadster(in need of restoration)
- --