Re: Rebuilding head?

At 12:48 PM 10/5/98 -0700, Salvatore Guzzo wrote:
>Any one out there rebuilt their own head?
>
>I'm working on the bottom end of my 1983 1.8 JH motor and I called around
>to see how much it would cost to rebuild the head.  $400 - $ 500 Cnd is
>what I found.

Call race shops and find out where they get their heads worked on.  This
sounds high - I spent $400 USD total to redo my head - milled it, new valve
springs, valvejob, seals, guides, coolant, gaskets, oil.  I believe it was
$387 or something.

  I did find one place which would rebuld (possibly adjust it)
>and port and polish it.  However, I am weary about the quality of their
>work simply because they are not a tuner.

What do you mean?  Many "tuners" send their machine shop stuff elsewhere.
IME, the guys who build engines for the racers are better than the average
VW "Tuner."  If this guy has good references, has built race engines, is a
respected machinist, chances are, he'll do what you want - the only tricky
part is the porting and polishing.  I don't know much on the specifics, but
if the port gets too big, velocity slows, scavenging gets worse, etc - the
machine shop I use works largely on V8s and 2 cycle dirtbike engines - but
they know how to fix a head.  Are other people(regardless of vehicle) happy
with their work?  If so, they'll probably do a good job.  Finding someone
who has VW experience is good, but IMHO, not necessary.  I'd find out where
all the racertypes in your area go, and take it there.

  I don't mind him doing the work
>but should I be concerned at all?
>
>Also, how difficult is it for me to work on the head.  Any special tools
>required...

Valve spring compressor?  What do you want to do to it?  Dial indicators to
measure runout, things to measure the inside of the guides, eh, yes, there
are tools needed to take the valvetrain apart, but IMHO, pay the shop to do
that - valves are valves.  I'd only be concerned with the P&P bit, make
sure the guy does not want to go crazy and make the ports huge.  Again,
recommendations are wonderful - find out where the racers go, and do the
same.  Good luck!

I.Mannix(and the prices I see for heads in the magazines seem outrageous -
$995 for a rebuilt head?!?!?  What?  $1500 for something ported?  Uhhh......)
- --