Re: Rebuilding head?

> Any one out there rebuilt their own head?
>
> I'm working on the bottom end of my 1983 1.8 JH motor and I called around
> to see how much it would cost to rebuild the head.  $400 - $ 500 Cnd is
> what I found.  I did find one place which would rebuld (possibly adjust it)
> and port and polish it.  However, I am weary about the quality of their
> work simply because they are not a tuner.  I don't mind him doing the work
> but should I be concerned at all?

I don't see those prices as too outrageous.  I was thinking about sending
my 16v head to one of the 'tuners' also, and just bite the bullet on the
price.  However, I was (re)reading an older issue of VW&P, when I came
across a listing of VW tuners (special for that issue).  Behold, a shop
in NY state, specializing in tuning AND SCCA racing VW's, 16v are their
specialty.  I couldn't dial the phone fast enough...

Come to find out, the guy how was in charge of all the VW work and VW
racing had left and started his own shop (10 years had gone by, so I guess
this is perfectly ok) but I got this number.  We talked about what I wanted,
what kind of engine, the bottom end, the exhaust, which cams I was running,
whether or not I wanted to SCCA race...all kinds of good info.  It was
very refreshing to speak with someone who knew this kind of work (16v head
porting) and there was no bullshit.  Anyway, he's going to port and polish
my 16v head, match port the intake to the head, match port the short tube
intake runners and rebuild the head for $400.  Since there's 80k+ miles
on it, he says I'll also need new guides (stem seals are included in the
all over engine head gasket kit) and he'll get and install them for another
$100.  Total: $500.  I think I'll take it...

> Also, how difficult is it for me to work on the head.  Any special tools
> required...

I'd say it's pretty difficult, and exacting.  Get someone who owns the tools
and knows how to use them to do the work for you.  Less frustration and a
better result.   I'm putting engines in and out of cars, tearing them
down, putting them back together again and I wouldn't consider doing a P&P
or head rebuild on my own.  I probably don't have the tools, or the
experience in how to use them correctly.

> Sal

==Brett
- --