Rebuilding head?

Any one out there rebuilt their own head?

I'm working on the bottom end of my 1983 1.8 JH motor and I called around
to see how much it would cost to rebuild the head.  $400 - $ 500 Cnd is
what I found.  I did find one place which would rebuld (possibly adjust it)
and port and polish it.  However, I am weary about the quality of their
work simply because they are not a tuner.  I don't mind him doing the work
but should I be concerned at all?

Also, how difficult is it for me to work on the head.  Any special tools
required...

Sal

- --