Re: 16V upgrade opinions, please.

On Sun, 04 Oct 1998 14:40:18 -0700 the mad bastard <stoopid@idirect.com>
writes:
>alright, i had a VERY disappointing night yesterday.  it made me
>realize one thing:  my car needs more power.

Dont we all? Thats nohing new dude.

>what are my options, people.  i want to put my car into the low 13s.
>of course i do not want to do this tomorrow, but i want to know what i
>can do.

13's eh?

>here's the skinny:  i have 2-door mk1 jetta GLI with a 2.0 16V with a
>P&P 1.8 head, a TT SS DP/Cat, stock 16V scirocco exhaust, and a scorpion
>rear box.  i've also got an intake pipe running in from the front of the
>car directly into my airbox which has been chopped completely out.
>with me in the car (180lbs...ouch), the car weighs about 2380lbs.  i
>have lowered the suspension about 2 - 2.5" from stock and have the stock
>16V roc swaybars.  i'm also running some very thrashed 195-50-15 conti
>aquacontacts.

1)You need to put the car on a diet. Get down as much as possible. Expect
to be able to get it to right around 1800lbs - 1900lbs, empty.  (Shed
300lbs.)
Thats worth -.300 in your ET right there.

2) Drag slicks.
The import drag boys are using the Nitto drag rcing tires with much
success. Theres also many other brands available in our import sizes.
They do add to the end result.

3) Suspension tricks.
Basic things like, no swaybars, stressbars. You dont need them! Ultra
stiff rear shocks and springs to keep the weight transfer to a minimum.
Soft front setup to allow the tires to GRIP. Alignment of 0 toe, 0 camber
for max results. Get the car to sit as low as possible for aerodynamics.
I see alot of the serious import drag racers missing out on this point
badly. I think the NHRA has a 3" rule. Car must sit 3" above the ground?
Something like that.

4) Engine mods.
This list could be HUGE and expensive. Thats why I gave you 1-3 first.
If I were in your shoes, I would at least do the following:
 4a) Lighten the flywheel. In a 2.0L this will give you so much more low
end torque than you could ever imagine it would. (Read, "getting off the
line with Shawn Handy".)
 4b) More power is best done by more compression. To do this cheaply,
you can just spend $100 US and buy a VW motorsports head gasket. The
1.4mm gasket will raise your CR by something like .7CR above stock.
 4c) If you can aford it, buy a set of 11-1CR pistons with total seal
rings. The problem with this is, you are driving this on the street and
anything more than this will begin to make the car unstreetable. Not in
legal terms, but in driving the car period. It soon becomes a purpose
built race car.

Alot of the "other" imports can have 300hp and still be streetable
because they have an adjustable boot controller on their turbo's. Dial it
down for the street use, turn it up to spank dat ass. A normally
aspirated motor isnt as easy to as this.

>1. get a whole to fuel management system

Not neccessary, IMHO. At least not until your seeing HP numbers above the
180 mark.

>2. euro intake runners

Possible. If you can find them. It might be cheaper to have your unstake
extrude honed and have the same result.

>3. mad shrick cams (276†??)

If you want power, you gotta have aset of cams.

>4. quaife (i know, i know, it doesn't make sense unless you've got
>300+ hp)

Definately! If you can afford it, get it! You dont need 300hp to benefit
from its use.

>5. freer-flowing exhaust maybe? (i still have the cat on there)

Definately. if anthing, remove the cat. (If it a stock unit.)

>6. balanced and blueprinted motor

Absolutely dude! Its only money right?

>7. lightened flywheel

Id do this first. Velocity sells a lightened flywheel for $120US. I feel
it would be money well spent in your case.

>8. pistons? connecting rods?

go with the highest CR pistons you can find/use. Lightest rods too.
Spendy, but when it comes to rotational mass, pays off.

>any other suggestions or opinions on this list?

Uh, see above.

>oh yeah, can anyone tell me if there is any real advantage to
>opening the car up to a 2.1 or larger?

Displacement is everything. How much fuel and air you can burn is
determined by how much space you have to put it into. If you have the
means, then do it.
HTH.

              Shawn Meze
86' Jetta GLi           82' Scirocco GTi
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and