Switches, sensors, and temp.

    Ok, this is just a quick question for all of you Scirocco gurus...

    With all of the talk magical thermo-time switches etc...  My '84 has 2
switches in the coolant hose coming out of the engine.  One of them has your
typical 2 conductor connector, and one connects to two seperate wires.  Just
out of curiousity, and a quest for better understanding, what do these two
do.  My book only shows one switch there, so my curiousity overwhelms me.
Thanks everybody for your help.

TIA,

Matt Willey
'84 Scirocco