Re: [tech] ignition cuts out

The switch is separate from the key (no need for a re-key) . Your Bentley
outlines the procedure.

If you get a new switch, you can try it out without tearing the thing
apart. Just unplug the harness from the bottom of the ignition key
thingy, and plug it into the new switch (which will be dangling at this
point). Now, you can use a simple screw driver to turn the switch to the
start position. Voila! The car will start. You can drive the car around
for a few days like this to make sure that this is the problem.

If the car works fine, then you must do the PITA Bentley procedure.

Just make sure that you pocket the switch everytime you leave your car!

Mark . . .
Scirocco 1982, Golf GT 1987
Scirocco 1978
Previous Sciroccos: 1981S (RIP), 1980S, 1975TS, 1975
http://home.t-online.de/home/Scirocco2/marc.htm