Re: Mexican vs German

>Anybody have any real information about whether one or the other of these
>places of manufacture should be avoided and why?
>
>Hope I didn't come off sounding arrogant, but blatant subjectivity and
>prejudice presented as fact really bugs me.

German cars have to be better!  Come on!  Germany, the fatherland or some
BS like that, ahh, German this, German that.....puke.  I think you posted
all the "real" information about German vs Mexican cars in this post,
anything else is subjective & probably driven by some emotion which says
that the cars have to be built in Germany to be good.  Shrug.  Seems to me
that it is luck of the draw - there are good ones and bad ones out there,
German or "Mexican."  The car is still German, even if it is assembled in
Mexico, Westmoreland, Brazil, does not matter where - sorta like Toyotas
made in the US - they're still Japanese cars, they simply get smushed into
a car here in the states.

I saw a post recently about someone removing the interior of a GTI V6, he
said the plastic "was cheap, then saw the Made in Mexico thing and it all
made sense."  Laugh, as if the Mexican built cars get cheaper plastic than
the German ones.  I think our friend just realized that VWs are cheap cars.

I get sick of hearing about how the German built cars are better.  They're
not.  YOURS might be better than YOUR US built Rabbit, your FRIEND might
have had better luck with a German Scirocco than a Mexican Golf, but
between YOU and your "FRIEND," there's 2 people and 4 cars.  Sigh, now
THAT's a sample!  IMHO, it does not really matter where the car was built -
it is nice to think of Germany as some utopian place where all the laborers
are named Hans and are careful, dedicated workers who put their heart and
German soul into each and every VW they build.  Right.  Just like any
country, the assembly line workers are just that - human robots.  My US
built Rabbit has been incredibly reliable.  It never breaks down - it has
had an autocross related error(I put something together wrong, oops, hey,
US laborers suck), but the car is fabulous, overall, even with backwoods
redneck Pennsylvanians putting it together.  Laugh, as if there are'nt
cheesey dirtbag Germans in Germany.    IMHO, assembly line factory workers
are all just about the same throughout the world - "Company X will pay me
(local market rate for wages) if I stand here and do the same task for 8
hours."   Does not matter what country one is from, assembling cars sucks.
Not a fun job, and the people who wind up doing it simply need the revenue
- - they could'nt care less about your stressbar.  Or build quality.  They do
a job, managertypes develop incentives and fuzzy employee of the month
things, group picnics, maybe feature one of the more photogenic and
articulate ones in a commercial to boost morale - but it all sinks to the
bottom line. Assembling _anything_ sucks, and not many people actually
enjoy it.  Regardless of the country, repetitive, monotonous jobs attract
the same "type" of person, and I don't believe that German laborers are
somehow better than any others.

I.Mannix
- --