Re: G60 in a Rocco

Yeah, well thats like saying, I've seen 10 1.8L 8v engines go bad in
the last year, so they are all bad! How about listing some
circumstances please? In any one of those instances, was the cog belt
replaced within the year or 20,000 miles? Was the oil changed every
3,000 miles or 3 months? were the seals replaced? You see when they
'go bad' its either a bad bearing (highly unlikely) or just seeping
seals that can be replaced for $200, the ones that have 'grenaded'
just needed a new cog belt, or they were spinning them over 90%, how
many of these 9?? had smaller pullys? I would really appreciate some
data, I'm not doubting that nearly 10 went bad, I would just like a
chance to prove that it was most likely due to improper
maintenence..they JUST don't explode.

The G ladder is a very, very simplistic device, it sanwiches air
using G shaped fins rotating oblong to each other, it will only
explode of the two eccentric shafts get unsynched ala no cog belt.
TEC offer a dual cog belt upgrade that is a really sweet setup.
If you have low boost out of it,it just means your seals are leaking,
they can be bought for $100 at places, and any turbo shop can replace
them for like $100. A lot of misguided information about the G-ladder
performing poorly is because of huge holes in peoples intercooler
tubes. Its a known problerm in Corrados that the battery acid leaks
and eats a fist sized or larger hole in a boost tube, I know 1
Corrado out of 15 that still had good IC tubes after 60,000. Once we
replaced them, wow it was like they were driving a new car with
almost 50 more horsepower In all the cases people would come in
bitchign about how sucky the Supercharger was..well duh!!.

I may not have worked on as many cars are your shop, but Ive owned
one, my friends all have them,ive taken them apart and reassembled
them, and I've grenaded one in my driveway(the cog belt was
dryrotted)

any maybe some jerk at a shop will charge you 1,000 for a used G
ladder, but if you use the power of the internet which all of us on
this list have access to,they can be found from $50 to $500 at the
MOST used. You cant buy a remanufactured turbo for under $1,000
and ones at the junkyard are at least $400-$600. Then you gotta buy
an engine management system,with the G60 unit you just snag the 1.8L
block and Motronic FI system,and presto you are ready to rock and
roll.

there is no such thing as high performance longevity. It all boils
down to how fast you can afford to go, the G60 setup is a very
inexpensive source of power, and just like any other route, must be
well maintained. Even if you go out and buy a rotex supercharger, or
any other turbo, expect to pay more, The G60 -> scirocco is not a
drop in swap but it's pretty darn close!

Ryan