Re: First Auto X

On Mon, 23 Nov 1998 14:49:42 +0000 "Kris Rayner" <veritech@fix.net>
writes:
>I participated in my first autocross this weekend. Wow!

Hook-line AND sunk. HEH! Welcome to the addictive sport. :)

> To add insult to
>injury his next two lap times were 1:15 and 1:10. He beat me by four
>solid seconds in my own car!! There were some extenuating
>circumstances though.  On his third run, there was a timing error so
>got to run again, (4 runs total), plus there was no more than 3
>minutes between his runs so the tires never cooled down.  Nonetheless
>though, I was  still a little peeved.

I do that when I co-drive the Pottermans cars. I invariably beat his
times and even tho he says he doesnt get pissed, I can tell he is deeply
distraught. Thats why I try to slow down  alot and not beat his times
really bad or he might not let me co-drive his cars anymore. (I dont
think he will read this so im digging im deep for a reply from him in
case he does. LOL!)
You really dont need to worry about how well he drove the car. Remeber
you also warmed up the car and tires for him. The important thing is, you
got some seat time, you improved each run.
Its really hard to teach yourself to be fast on the autox course. If you
can, attend a school if one is offered. The advance on the learning curve
is amazing for the new drivers. I dont know when one will be offered for
you but probably not until the beginning of next season since this one is
winding down.
(Maybe Jan/Feb/march since im sure you guys race year round too? Our
season ends dec 13 and begins Jan 3 or the 10th.)
Just keep at it and if at all possible, ride with an experienced driver
or better yet, have one ride with you. From what randy told me, those
guys are really cool and helpful up there in the SF region.

>Those of you in S. Cal.
>ought to consider coming up at least once.  It's a fun relaxed bunch
>of guys.  Occasionally Randy Walters will show up.

id like to but its an awfully long way to go to just autox......

( im waiting.)

Randy did say it was a good course and the people were very cool. Just
might have to think about it.
Make ya a deal, i'll come up if you come down?

              Shawn Meze
86' Jetta GLi           82' Scirocco GTi
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and