First Auto X

I participated in my first autocross this weekend. Wow!  I was able
to pre-tech my car on Saturday and save $5 on my admission.  Got
there early Sunday morning with a friend who was going to co-drive.
We were pretty fortunate. We ran in the first group and did our
course work during the third so we were done by 1pm.  My first run
was just to get a better feel for the track and my time was 1:22.  My
second run I concentrated on going faster and got my time down to
1:16.  My third run I concentrated on being smoother and got my time
down to 1:14.  No DNF's and no penalties or cones.  I was very happy.
 My friend on the other hand, that's another story.  On his first run
he DNF'ed.  Having not given much heed to walking the track before
hand, he proceeded to get confused during his first run, hit a couple
of cones, and ripped off the lip spoiler on my MK1.  To add insult to
injury his next two lap times were 1:15 and 1:10. He beat me by four
solid seconds in my own car!! There were some extenuating
circumstances though.  On his third run, there was a timing error so
got to run again, (4 runs total), plus there was no more than 3
minutes between his runs so the tires never cooled down.  Nonetheless
though, I was  still a little peeved.  I got over it though and
looked at the positive. No DNF's and consistantly faster lap times.
Some how, a Ford Capri was in the same class as I, DSP.  How they
figured this is beyond me.  He had the 2.8L V6, fully race prepared,
welded diff, car out of the San Francisco SCCA region.  The owner was
a very nice and helpfull guy to us two novices.  As it ended up, he
had, as far as I know, the fastest lap time of 58 seconds!
It was an absolute blast though.  I'm forevere hooked.  The official
times haven't been posted yet but will be up soon on www.cpscc.org
Thier the body that governed the autox.  Those of you in S. Cal.
ought to consider coming up at least once.  It's a fun relaxed bunch
of guys.  Occasionally Randy Walters will show up.
                   Kris Rayner
                1984 VW Scirocco
    1981 VW Scirocco S - Soon to be a 16V :)-
             "The futures in the air,
             I can feel it everywhere,
          blowing with the Wind of Change."
                   - Scorpions