Re: timing

On Mon, 23 Nov 1998 11:13:09 -0400 rhl@student.umass.edu writes:

>high octane gas and see if that helps (i won't have access to a timing
>light till wed.) does this sound like the right answer to my problem?

Thats a good move, good call! Put in higher octane fuel and see how it
runs.

>the sound comes from directly in front of the driver, it is not present
>when the engine is just coasting, and it's volume is variable with the
>amount of accelration, not with just the revs.
>Thanks in advance!
>Rob Luhrs

It does sound like you have an ping caused by low octane. If you can, ask
the previous owner what grade fuel he used.
I would have the timing checked and if you plan on using the cheaper
fuel, just retard the timming back a few degrees from where it is now.
This isnt ona 16V is it?

              Shawn Meze
86' Jetta GLi           82' Scirocco GTi
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and