'81 "S"

From: rhl@student.umass.edu

Quick question, i bout my scirocco last sunday, it worked great, i just
ran through the first full tank of gas (87 octane) and all of a sudden i
am getting this
horrible metalic sound that is accompanying my accelration, it is not
terribly loud and is very audible inside the cabin, but all but
unnoticable outide
the car.(wierd i know) also, when i opened up the hood with the engine
running
and tried to reproduce the sound from there by using the throttle cable
within
the car, it would every so often misfire. My only thought is that maybe
the previous owner had advanced the timing too far, so i am going to try
to put
high octane gas and see if that helps (i won't have access to a timing
light
till wed.) does this sound like the right answer to my problem?
the sound comes from directly in front of the driver, it is not present
when the engine is just coasting, and it's volume is variable with the
amount of
accelration, not with just the revs.
Thanks in advance!
Rob Luhrs