RE: Transmissions

final drive ratio is the ratio between the ring (on the differential)
and pinion shaft.  since this is the last gear reduction all the gears
see, it's called the "final" drive.  for the overall ratio in each gear,
it would be the ratio of that particular gear (ex: .91 for 5th)
multiplied by the final drive ratio (ex: 3.67).  that gives you an
overall ratio of 3.34.  this means for every turn of the drive shaft
(and wheel, by default) , the engine turns 3.34 times.  there is
basically a negligible difference between a .89 and .91 5th gear.  but
the taller .805 5th gear would lower your highway rpms to about 3500rpm
at 80mph (guestimation).  this would give you more relaxed highway
cruising.  i have a 3.94 final drive on mine with the 1.8 16V gear
ratios (.91 5th).  this gives me about 4200rpm at 80, a bit buzzy but if
i want to pass someone, i just floor it and it FLIES.  i do want to
convert to the .805 (or possibly even the .71), but i would really miss
the instant passing ability i have.  changing the 5th gear can be done
with the transmission still in the car.

chris
86 16V scirocco (wishing it was a 6-speed)