idle

I just got an '85 and the idle seems quite erratic. When I first start it
up it runs at about 2000 rpm. Then, after being driven only for a few
minutes the idle will drop off to about 500 rpm. This isn't enough to let
it run at a stop light, and will often stall. Then after a few minutes of
running at around 500 rpm it will go back up to 2000 again, and stay there
for awhile. Any thoughts?    -Rob