Re: idle

Sounds like perhaps the auxilary air regulator is a little messed up. It's
supposed to let air though to let the car idle high when it's cold, and then
the heating element in it gradually heats up and shuts off the extra air,
causing the idle to drop down. Perhaps somehow the electrical connection to it
is loosening up and it's letting air through again, I dunno. It's behind the
intake manifold and you can tell what it is because there are hoses running to
it that obviously bypass the throttle body. Good luck! (Of course, it could be
something else entirely)
    -Josiah
    '84 GTI (away for the winter)
    '86 Scirocco 8v (buy me!)