Re: Front wheel bearings.

On Mon, 16 Nov 1998 12:35:47 -0500 "Wm. Josiah Erikson"
<josiah@gsinet.net> writes:
>I've had bad wheel bearings destroy hubs, and even wheel bearing
housings! The
>hubs seem to get detroyed when the bearing siezes enough to put enough
pressure
>and vibration etc on the hub to work it loose and start the wheel
bearing
>spinning on the hub, and then you can't reuse the hub because part of it
has
>been machined away and it will be too loose. I had a housing destoyed
once on
>my wheel bearing that was so bad that the wheel started to rub on the
strut.
>There was just metal everywhere, and everything in the general vicinity
got
>destroyed. I think the CV shaft survived, but I don't remember. I still
have
>the hub and wheel bearing in my pile of "horrible examples".
>    -Josiah

I dunno man. Maybe its just my anal self here but, I come from a place
where when a part is beginning to show signs of wear (read "FAILURE")
that part gets replaced ASAP. I don't wait for it to fall off the car
before I tend to it. Is it just me? I hope not.
If having been a helicopter mechanic in the army has taught me anything,
its "Preventative maintenance saves money".
I dunno, to me if a part looks or sounds like its not right and it is a
vital part of the car, then its gone. I had a bad set of wheel bearings
when I first got my roc. (Nucklehead towed it to my house with no axles
in it. go figure.) I drove on it for a while until I began to hear the
sounds of the bearings beginning to give up the ghost.
As soon as I was able to diagnose the problem, I replaced them within a
few days. Before I got to the point where I could change them, (had to
borrow the bearing tool and have the bearings sent to me.) I checked them
just about everyday and I felt the hub to see how hot it was getting. Any
sign that they were self destructing and the car would of been parked.
That's just me tho I guess. Well, whatever.

              Shawn Meze
86' Jetta GLi           82' Scirocco GTi
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and