Fan/idle

Hey everyone, whenever my cooling fan comes on, my idle will jump up to
and hold at around 1200rpm's, but when the cooling fan shuts off it
drops back to normal(it is normally right around 850rpm's). Why
does it do this?  What can i do to fix it? BTW, it's an 87 16v.

TIA,

Rich Deede
University Of Delaware (Communications)
1987 Scirocco 16v

"Think about how dumb the average person is, and then remember that half
the population is EVEN stupider!"....George Carlin