Snow tire wear

Cox, Wiley wrote:

>         My Scirocco came (two years ago) with a set of snow tires.
> What's the scoop on running the snow tires on dry pavement?  Am I going
> to lose the snow-traction they get me faster that way?  Or should I just
> slap them on December 1st and run them through the winter?

Wiley,

 I just generally wait until the forecast looks good for a lasting
accumulation of snow. This is not always a good plan as the weather
forecasters tend to be clueless twits. Last year I got caught
driving the 25 miles home on snow covered roads with only four very
well worn Yokohama AVSis separating me from oblivion. I ended
pulling over several times to let traffic pass me. :( Very bad for
ones ego. I threw the snows on that evening.

 Generally, I think that heat is the worst thing for them. As long
as the ambient temperatures are low, the wear isn't too bad. If you
run them for a whole summer, there will be very little tire left
come the first snowfall. Ask me how I know. :)

Later,
	Jon

Jon Auringer
J.Auringer@astronautics.com