Cluster Lighting -- Fixed

Well, after a few months of driving around at night without being able to
see my clock, I have successfully replaced the bastard little light bulb
that blew out on me.

Much thanks to all who sent instructions and tips to me on how to
accomplish this.  For the benefit of everyone else, I will summarize how
it's done.

Thanks to Greg Davis for these instructions.  Also, thanks to Wm. Josiah--
who also sent me detailed instructions.

FIRST-------DISCONNECT BATTERY!!

1.Remove the trim piece from around the cluster (2 screws)
2. Losen or remove the panel under the dash.
3. Reach arm up under dash, cuss a lot, disconnect speedo cable but
squeezing and pulling towards front of car (should make sense when your
doing it)
4. Use a flat head screw driver and push out the two wiring harnesses from
the cluster. You will see these at the bottom of the cluster after you
remove that trim panel.
5. Remove the screw at the top of the cluster.
At this point, the cluster is sitting in U-shaped mounts, one on each side
at the bottom. There are "rods" (for lack of better word) that stick out
from the cluster. See Bentley, Electrical System page 15, fig 7-1. Rotate
the top of the cluster forward and lift up so it is out of the U-shaped
mounts. You will need to angle the cluster (side to side direction) so it
will fit through the dash opening. It will fit through the steering wheel
(assuming factory Scirocco or Corrado wheel).  You do not have to remove
the steering wheel.

There are three bulbs in the cluster. Get them from the dealer, they are
not too expensive.

	(The one I bought today cost me $1.50 + tax.  There were two types of
bulbs listed in the dealer's book- one with a white base and one with a
black base.  The correct one is the one with the black base. I think 1.5W).

Remember, that circuit board on the back is around $100 new, so be careful!

Disconnect the battery so you don't get the honor of seeing a wisp of
smoke rise from the dash. It really isn't a pretty site!

Just had another thought... you may be able to replace the bulbs without
removing the cluster totally... disconnect battery, disconnect speedo,
rotate it forward, and I think you can get to the bulbs. Hmmm....

	(Yes, you can get to the top two like this.  The one for the Clock/MFA is
reachable... but I needed a pair of pliers to twist the bulbs out, so I
wound up just removing the whole cluster.)

Another hint on dash lights... if you're headlight switch doesn't light up,
there is a bulb in there too! I found out by accident when I was working
on Kim's Rocco....

	Mine used to... and I guess I never realized that it stopped! :)  Looks
like I'll be back at the dealership tomorrow for one more bulb! :)

		Thanks again everyone,
			Jason