Re: 87 rocco 16V PS on 83 GTI?

On Tue, 10 Nov 1998 01:23:31 -0500 "Wm. Josiah Erikson"
<josiah@gsinet.net> writes:
>Ummm just wondering... WHY would you WANT power steering?

Because its cool. And, it has a tighter rack than the loosie goosie
manual rack. (ISO P/S.)

>It decreases road feel....

Maybe just a little. Its more like "Power assisted" than it is a true P/S
system. Still, I think there is just enough road feel from P/S to still
give the driver a good feel for the road.

>adds weight and just generally takes away from the sporting character of
the car.

Not really. All your adding, weight wise is the pump, res and lines. It
doesn't add that much weight to the car. Im guessing total its 10-15lbs +
to the car. Well worth it myself. (For the kind of driving I do.)

>I view power steering like I view AC and electric windows... but of
course,
>that's just ME. Some people like to make their life easier... stupid
people...
>all of us SANE people like to inflict pain and suffering on ourselves...
we know
>it's healthy (laugh).
>    -Josiah

Uh, yeah, that's it Bill! :)

The P/W doesn't add that much weight either. I guess when you add it all
up, the P/? additions do make a difference weight wise but since im lazy
by nature, I like to push a button and see the window go up. Push a
button and the window goes down. Push another button and the mirror moves
in........ect. Lazy is a good thing, remember that! :)

              Shawn Meze
86' Jetta GLi           82' Scirocco GTi
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and