Re: 87 rocco 16V PS on 83 GTI?

Dude, my mom could turn my non-ps car easily. it depends on which wheels
and tires (and how inflated). My dads 73 Full size Chevy van w/ deep dish
mags and a 13" race car steering wheel DOESNT have power steering! Now that
is the hardest thing to turn you've ever seen. But my mom did it for 20
years. p/s is a waste of natural resources.

And a/c?!? dont get me started. My family hasn't has a/c on any car(or
house) in the 20 years we've lived in San Diego, and we're still alive. a/c
sucks

An M3 would be a hell of a lot sportier without a/c, p/s, electric
windows('oh i cant turn a crank, i'm a rich-ass bastard, it's below me' :) )

At 11:51 AM 11/10/98 -0500, you wrote:
>At 01:23 AM 11/10/98 , Wm. Josiah Erikson wrote:
>>Ummm just wondering... WHY would you WANT power steering? It decreases
>road feel,
>>adds weight and just generally takes away from the sporting character of
>the car,
>>IMHO. I view power steering like I view AC and electric windows... but of
>course,
>>that's just ME. Some people like to make their life easier... stupid
>people...
>>all of us SANE people like to inflict pain and suffering on ourselves...
>we know
>>it's healthy (laugh).
>>    -Josiah
>
>Um... Josiah... I don't think that was called for.  "Stupid People" Yeah,
>yeah, I know.. it was a joke... Remember, though, not everyone is a 6 foot
>tall guy.  I am a stong guy, and *I* had trouble steering Jay's friend's
>GTI... and the driver is a whole hell of a lot smaller than I.  I sincerely
>doubt my 5' 2" mother would even be able to move the steering wheel on that
>car under 5mph.
>	And as far as steering increasing road feel, yes.. but at a cost- safety.
>I'm probably gonna start an all-out war on this one, but it's a fact.
>PS-equipped cars are more easy to manouver quickly at lower speeds, and
>also do not suffer from steering rebound... and are therefore safer on the
>road, especially for those who don't have the upper body strength to battle
>2500 lb of momentum.
>
>	And how do you come to the conclusion that AC detracts from the sporty
>character of a car?!  Go drive a BMW M3- which come with A/C, P/S and power
>windows.. and tell me it's not sporty.
>
>	My opinionated 2 pennies
>			Jason
>

>--

Kevin Fry .:. 81 Scirocco S -- Now with JH power!
      San Diego, CA
"If God had meant for us to use the metric system, we would've been born
with ten fingers and ten toes."