Re: Plugged Cats

At 05:42 PM 11/9/98 -0800, David Ruby wrote:

Here's another poser for the tech-meisters: How does a Scirocco with plugged catalytic converter behave?

Just finished dealing with this very problem on my 87 16v. Symptoms included not starting and very low compression readings on all cylinders. One "mechanic" diagnosed the problem as burned exh. valves. "All of them?" I asked. I took the car home and did my own testing. Turned out to be a nearly totally plugged cat. Dropped the exh., cut the pipe and hollowed out the cat with a rod and small sledge hammer. (make sure to wear a good respirator and eye protection!) I had to have the appearance of a cat for my emissions inspection. They don't test for function ;) Runs very nicely, did have to reset the CO. A little louder as well.

Gerry
-- To subscribe or unsubscribe, send email to scirocco-L-request@scirocco.org, with your request (subscribe, unsubscribe) in the BODY of the message.