RE: Cold Starting

I just had mine tuned-up professionally, and it is a LOT better (_almost_
perfect). The reason I had it done at the shop was 'cause I needed to
replace the timing belt, and I'm not experienced/equiped enough to adjust
things like timing and fuel mixtures.

If you also can't do it yourself or don't want to spend the money, I would
definitely check the standard, easy to fix stuff that might have an effect
on fuel or spark delivery in cold weather:
Plugs
Wires
Fuel Filter
Oil Viscocity (I run 5w30 in the winter)
Distributor cap/rotor (remember the rotor is "glued" on the 16v!)

You might also want to try the HEET/Iso-HEET stuff (fuel system drier) you
can get at gas stations. I've used it for years, though I still don't know
the difference between the red and yellow bottles...

I also understand that our cars have an issue with the seals around the fuel
injectors, where shrinkage may cause them to be difficult to start, but run
OK when they warm up and the seals expand. This would certainly be worse in
winter.

I'm still fairly new to VW's, so if I'm way off, somebody chime-in.

Neal
F-F-Freezing in Min-n-n-eap-p-p-olis