Re: Eureka and huh? [shot peening]

On Fri, 16 Jan 1998 20:11:47 EST HCharvat <HCharvat@aol.com> writes:

>Uh, what your thinking of is called "bead blasting" not shot peening.
Bead
>blasting is a similar to sand blasting in the sense that it uses a media
>clean a surface - in this case glass beads.

Right. In addition to glass bead, ive seen/used ground walnut shells and
plastic. The walnut shells do a great job in my experience. Better than
sand IMHO. But, like Hugh said, this is not the same as Shot peening.

>Shot peening is the process of
>tumbling different size steel shot in a large drum with the parts you
wish to
>"peen".  HTH :)
>Hugh Charvat

Right. I've seen, for turbine blades, a heavy duty shot pean machine that
was loud as all hell and did more than just tumble . The blades were
mounted into a conveyer belt type contraption and ran into this machine.
After 2 minutes the process was over. Then the blades were reweighed and
inspected before being reused again. The shot used in this machine was
quite small. Not like you would think of when you hear the word "shot",
you think of birdshot or 12 gauge shot or something the like. Its just a
little bigger than any bead blasting material i've never seen and much
smaller than birtshot.
That's my knowledge of it. Im sure there's different ways to accomplish
the same job and like I said, this application was for the little turbine
blades for F-18, F-14 turbine engine blades. (Kinda smallish compared to
some of the commercial turbine engines out there.)

HTH!!

              Shawn Meze
86' Jetta GLi           82' Scirocco GTi
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and