Re: Eureka and huh? [shot peening]

<< My father explained this to me one night in the shop but that
 was a while and it could be something else (he used it on his Harley
 heads..)  He said something about a see through case that you put
 your part in and work through gloves built into it.  Like a sand
 blaster but with glass beads that are collected and filtered in a
 continuous process.  I know sand blasting puts some heat into parts,
 maybe this puts more.  Also polishes aluminum real good I think...  >>
Uh, what your thinking of is called "bead blasting" not shot peening.  Bead
blasting is a similar to sand blasting in the sense that it uses a media to
clean a surface - in this case glass beads.  Shot peening is the process of
tumbling different size steel shot in a large drum with the parts you wish to
"peen".  HTH :)
Hugh Charvat