Re: i just bought some OBX pedal covers

Regarding the shift kits you mentioned ...

... I'm not sure what you want to do to your shifter, but if your'e trying
to shorten the throw, there's a relatively easy mod which will save you
the expense of the Neuspeed kit.

There are two yokes on your transmission, which are moved back and forth
by the shift linkage.  One of these is moved by the left-right motion of
the shift lever, and the other yoke is moved by the up-down motion of the
shifter (going from 1st to 2nd, for example).  Changing the radius of
either of these yokes is the easiest way to increase or decrease the range
of motion in your shift lever.

If you look at the control yoke on the transmission, you'll realise it's
just a simple lever.  The fulcrom (or the pivot point) of the yoke is the
shaft entering the transmission.  The hole at the other end of the yoke
connects to the shift linkage.  Pretty simple stuff.

You will also notice two bends in the shift yoke.  These are bent to
angles of approximately 30 degrees.  Now, suppose you heated up the yoke
with a torch and increased both of those bends to 60 degrees.  You would
be decreasing the effective distance between the two holes in the yoke.
This is the easiest way to make your shifter into a "short shift".

If you look at the Neuspeed shift kit, you'll see that they're just
replacing the shift yoke with a fancy aluminum casting.  It looks pretty,
and has several holes drilled into it so you can control just how "short"
your shifter is.  It's a nice piece, but it's not worth the money when you
can modify the existing part for the cost of a few minutes with a
blowtorch.

Let me know if you need some more help with this ... I"m not sure I did
the greatest job of explaining this.

Cheers,
-- Mike
'81 Scirocco - fixer-upper
'86 Scirocco - every day driver
'98 Beetle - will arrive in mid-April...