injection question, quick update, [longish]

    Hey folks!  I just wanted to let everyone know of my most recent
acquisition: a 1984 2-door Jetta GLI, which was, until last night at
around 7:30 in the possession of listmember Verne Harris.  Great little
car, quick and nimble and although the main colour on the body seems to
be rust, it looks badass.

    Before I go on any further, I'd like to let everyone now that some
fuckwad broke into my brand new Jetta today.  I was at school, so said
despicable waste of skin nicked my parking pass.  It was funny cuz the
first thing I looked for was my pass.  It wasn't there and hey!, my door
is unlocked.  Strange thing, that, since I locked it this morning.
Anyways, they jimmyed the door from the bottom and didn't do too much
damage, so I guess that's a positive.  The daydreams I've been having.
Smashed noses, 5 busted fingers, insertion of jimmying device to in any
of this knobgobbler's more sensitive orifices....I'm not freaking...I'm
just bitter, I'm not freaking.

    Anyways, back to the reason I'm posting this.  The Jetta has the 1.8
JH motor, so I am now a member of the 8V ranks.   And, being a member of
this elite core, I have to apologize for not paying attention to any
posts on injection problems.  Until this point, I have never needed to
pay attention to them, so i just saved everything up into all of my
"pre-read" files on my harddrive.  Now, I must humble ask all of you a
question that may have been addressed a number of times already.  If
there's a spot on Jan's page regarding this topic, jus' let me know, and
I'll read it myself....ok here goes.

    The car idles strangely.  That is to say that when I start it up and
let it idle, no problem.  But after I drive it around for seemingly any
amount of time, the idle goes down to about 450 rpm and fluctuates
between that and 900rpm.  Odd.  It will do this for 10 seconds or 10
minutes.  Sometimes it'll stop, sometimes not.

    The cycle of rev is about every 2 seconds, like someone is giving
gas a little before taking off from a stop (this analogy may not work
for everyone).  I dunno, it bothers me, and it has stalled a couple of
times as a result. So if anyone can offer me any advice, I'm all ears.

    Oh, and if you tell me to "check the injectors' or some other such
advice, can you give me a little detail on the matter?  I'm really not
too mechanically educated.  thanks

jason
the mad bastard