Re: chassis designations (chassis differences)

On Fri, 16 Jan 1998 13:35:06 +0000 "LTJG William Rayburn"

>OK...'82 was the year the Scirroco body style changed to Mk1

No, in 82 the SII or MK-II body style was introduced. It is still on a A1
chassis.

>(using
>your standard).  Is it true that the chassis (frame and suspension)
>changed to A2 in '82 also?

No, the A2 chassis came out in 85. Still, all the Scirocco's were on A1
chassis.

>I've heard that the '82-'84 suspension had some problems with being
>too loose (i.e. a squirmy/floaty feeling as if the car wasn't sticking
>to the ground well enough in corners) and this problem was partially
>due to the lack of a lower strut tie-bar in the front.  In '85 VW
>strengthened the frame to eliminate/correct the looseness and the
>need for the lower stress tie-bar.

I know that on my 82 Scirocco, it came without swaybars or the lower
front stressbar that came out on later 16V's (86-87). I think this is
what your refering to. Im not sure what year they began to come with
swaybars but I think it was maybe late 84.
85 showed the A2 chassis (Golf's Jetta's, Passats.) that have a new sub
frame. It makes the chassis a bit stiffer and also adds more weight to
the cars that had the A2 chassis.

              Shawn Meze
86' Jetta GLi           82' Scirocco GTi
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and