Re: chassis designations (chassis differences)

Notes Below:
____________________________________
Mark
Scirocco 1982, 1978 (Kristen's), 1980S (organ donor)
Golf GT 1987
Previous Sciroccos: 1981S (RIP), 1975, 1975TS

On Fri, 16 Jan 1998 13:35:06 +0000 "LTJG William Rayburn"
<csmdivo@roosevelt.navy.mil> writes:
>> On this list and in my everyday discussions  of VW's and Sciroccos
>> I use the following STANDARD:
>>
>> A1 - Chassis Platform
>> Mk1 & Mk2 - Body Style
>
>OK...'82 was the year the Scirroco body style changed to Mk1 (using

I gues you mean Mk2 here.

>your standard).  Is it true that the chassis (frame and suspension)
>changed to A2 in '82 also?

No, all Sciroccos are A1 (VW's designation for the chassis)

If yes, what were the changes to the
>chassis?

None. Changes were to the body only.

>I've heard that the '82-'84 suspension had some problems with being
>too loose (i.e. a squirmy/floaty feeling as if the car wasn't sticking
>to the ground well enough in corners) and this problem was partially
>due to the lack of a lower strut tie-bar in the front.

Never heard of any 82-84 suspension probs. The lower strut tie bar used
on the 16V models is a great add-on to any year Scirocco. Upper tie-bar a
must too.

 In '85 VW
>strengthened the frame to eliminate/correct the looseness and the
>need for the lower stress tie-bar.

Never heard of anything like this. See my note about the 16V tie bar
(1986 and on 16V)

>> When someone says A1 when in reality he is talking about the earlier
>> body style (up to '81) there is confusion.  I particularly do not
>care to
>> spend any more time than necessary trying to figure out what someone
>> is talking about.  I am patient, but when I see posts that try to
>> undermine this STANDARD it sort of pisses me off because of the
>> degenerative effects it has
>
>Where is the STANDARD delineated?  Is there a list-specific FAQ?  I'm
>new - enlighten me so we can all be on the same page in the
>dictionary.  If there isn't a standard terminology FAQ for the list,
>then can we create one and mail it as part of joining the list?

Great idea! "can we create one and mail it as part of joining the list?
"

>> This list is mainly for sharing a common bond and helping each
>other.  Let's
>> try to make this as uncomplicated and understandable as possible.
>
>"Can't we all just get along?"  ;-)  I completely agree with you, but
>if we don't 1) Create the standard (either make our own or get it from
>
>VW) and 2) Delineate the STANDARD, then the confusion will persist
>indefinitely.

Ye gots a point!