Re: What makes a 2.0 a 2.0?

At 11:04 PM 1/12/98 +0800, Michael & Kristen Potter wrote:
>> Could I use the pistons and rods from the A3 block in an older Passat 2.0
>> block, thereby getting the advantages of the longer rod engine in a block
>> that's dimensionally the same size as the 1.8 I have under the hood now?
>> (PL code)
>
>No because the block is also a 16mm taller thus the name "tall block"
>The pistons would shoot up into.....well you get it.  It wouldn't be
>pretty.

OK, but like you said before, the wrist pin was moved up in the piston on
the A3 block, so as to preserve the same stroke (am I right so far?).  I
figured the A3 pistons would work with the longer rods and preserve the
same overall stroke...guess not?

>There's a guy on the NG that has a 2.0 8v Tall block in his cabby &
>he is happy with it.  The long rod motors are great but I just like
>the snappy feeling.

Peter Tong?  Coming from the 1.8 I have, I'm sure either motor would be an
improvement in 'snap', but probably also a step down in high rpm
performance...if the short rod 2.0 is as good as you say (and for sure it
would be cheaper to buy a complete short block rather than mix & match
bottom end parts), that's what I'll go with.  Thanks!