Re: What makes a 2.0 a 2.0?

> >The NEW 2.0's that come in the A3's are the same bore & stroke as
> >eariler 2.0's but use a 165mm rod,  thus producing smoother torque &
> >better top end revvibility than the shorter 144mm rod 2.0's.
>
> Could I use the pistons and rods from the A3 block in an older Passat 2.0
> block, thereby getting the advantages of the longer rod engine in a block
> that's dimensionally the same size as the 1.8 I have under the hood now?
> (PL code)

No because the block is also a 16mm taller thus the name "tall block"
The pistons would shoot up into.....well you get it.  It wouldn't be
pretty.

> How big a difference is it, really?  I like high rpm motors, and I think I
> would appreciate a higher redline and smoothness @ 7k or so...

Well I've driven both & I must say IMHO "I" like the short rod motors
they just seem to have more snap.  Although the short rod 2.0's do
not like to rev witout having some headwork & a cam (8v's that is)
The 16v 2.0 is a great motor & revs well.  The tall block 165mm rod's
are very smooth (go drive a A3 2.0) they have a very mellow feel but
before you know it your flying.  My old A3 used to give my rocco a
run for it's money on the freeway but I would still pull on it.
Heck it even gave Meze a run for his money,  & it was a Automatic :-)

There's a guy on the NG that has a 2.0 8v Tall block in his cabby &
he is happy with it.  The long rod motors are great but I just like
the snappy feeling.

Potterman

Michael Potter
VIRTUAL WORLD PARTS