Re: What makes a 2.0 a 2.0?

>     I was talking to a friend of mine today who told me that the 1.8L
> and the 2.0L motors are basically the same unit.  The difference between
> the two is the crank.  One of them has a longer stroke (or something
> like that), and thus has a larger displacement.
>
>     Anyone care to elaborate, or completely refigure this thought for
> me, please?  Thanks
>
> jason
> the mad bastard

"Basically" they are the same but your friend is half right.  It's
Bore & stroke that are different.  All the 1.8's have a 86.4mm stroke
& a 81mm bore
The 2.0's have a 92.8mm stroke & a 82.5mm bore.  The funny thing is
both 1.8 & 2.0's use the same length rod's 144mm.  They (VW) get's
away with using the same rod's on both by changing the wrist pin
height of the pistons..
The NEW 2.0's that come in the A3's are the same bore & stroke as
eariler 2.0's but use a 165mm rod,  thus producing smoother torque &
better top end revvibility than the shorter 144mm rod 2.0's.

To figure out the displacment you take the Bore 82.5 X Bore 82.5 X
Stroke 92.8 X Pie 3.14 = 1984cc.  Rounded up is a 2.0.  1.8's are
1780cc.

There are a few other things that are different in the 2.0's.  Oil
pumps are 36mm gears & are clearenced for #4 rod not to hit.  The
intermediate shaft is also clearenced.  The block was also "bubbled"
for the increased stroke to clear.

HTH

Potterman
Michael Potter