Re: [scca] Wheels

Paul Krucke wrote:
> True, 14x6 32ET Hubcentric would be great.  Anyone know a maker?
>I would have loved to use 13"s but with the 10.1 front brakes they wont
> fit :-(.

BTW, 13" rims would be illegal for ES.  You must have the same width and
diameter rim as your 16v was available with new (14x6").

> List Members your MISSION should you choose to accept-- find the
> following;
>
>    Light weight 14x6 wheels with either the stock 38ET hubcentric, or
> better yet 14x6 32ET Hubcentric.

TSW Quads are light
Panasports are light and I think a bit pricey

Just for info my 14x6 Borbet type "C" is 15lbs.

Don't know about offset availablity.

> I found found some nice 14x6.5 & 14x7's but I think that would be
> illegal in ES.

Yup.

> Also, what is the weight of a stock teardrop?

16lbs, just like the GTi basket weaves.  Pigs by racing standards.

Man, I wish DuraLight had 14x6s, I picked up an unmounted 13x8 once and
it felt more like a potato chip!  8 pounds!  No kidding!  Imagine what
that would do for your braking and acceleration, not to mention
suspension sensitivity.  I heard somewhere that removing 1 pound of
unsprung weight (wheels, tires, a-arms, etc.) has the same effect on
performance as removing 7 pounds of chassis weight.  Using that
equation, switching to wheels that are say, six pounds lighter would be
equal to removing 168 pounds from the car 6lbs x 4wheels=24lbs x 7
=168!

--
Jim Buck,
ES #99