Re: More H-Stock Basics

At 11:06 AM -0600 01/01/1998, johnag@gglbbs.com wrote:

>My next question is (bearing in mind that I want to stay in H-Stock):
>
>1. Can I put spacers on and stay HS?

Maybe.  The rules allow for any wheel which is stock diameter and width,
and offset may be +/- 1/4" of stock - so a stock wheel can be legally used
with 1/4" spacers, or you can use a wheel that is up to 1/4" "narrower"
than stock(offset resulting in 1/4" narrower).  So, if you use stock
wheels, get 1/4" spacers and you'll be perfectly OK.

>2. What tire widths does HS limit me to? I think my 94 Jetta originally
>came with 185s--maybe 195s.  Its been a lot of tires ago, but I think
>they were185s.

You can use any size which fits on the stock wheel, within the unmodified
stock fenders, and no portion of the tread extends beyond the fenders when
viewed from above.  Tread, not sidewall - it is OK to see the sidewall, but
no portion of the tread may be viewed from above.  You might even be able
to fit 225/50-14s under there, a popular size  with the Neon people and
becoming more popular with Miata people.  The 205/55-14 is more than likely
OK, however - 225s might be close, I'd not buy a set of those without
trying them first(get a used one), but the 205s are 99.9% guaranteed to
fit, IMHO.

I.Mannix