Re: [TECH] Fast Steering

At 07:32 PM 12/30/98 -0800, David Ruby wrote:>
>Techmeisters,
>
>I have been doing VW research since the early '80's, and I have yet to get
a definite answer regarding this issue (to which one or more of us can shed
some light upon, I trust?)...

>Did the sportier A1's (i.e. Scirocco, GTI) come with a faster steering
box, or was there one for everything?  SURVEY: How many turns lock-to-lock
is an '86 8v supposed to be?

>--Or is this a matter of front suspension settings?--
>
>I ask this, as a few years ago, a bad mechanic duped me out of my steering
rack (for the one off his '80 Rabbit, I think) when replacing struts.  When
I got the car back, the steering was MUCHO slower, and with crusty, ripped
boots.  He said something to the effect of, Nonsense, You're Smoking
Hooters, and locked the doors to his shop.
>This is in the past, but I wonder if maybe I was smoking something...
>
>Thanks for the imput!
>Dave
>'86 8v with School Bus steering

I'm not sure of specs but I do know that there are different racks, some
for sure I know arre different are the power steering vs stnd. I agree that
it is likely that grouping by age and function might very well show a
diiference.

sorry not to be more than vauge,
TBerk