Re: 6-speed trans or p&p 16v head?

At 11:10 pm -0500 16/12/98, Scott F. Williams wrote:
>Yep, through a good VW rally connection, I am able to get a rebuilt 4K
>tranny with
>6-speed for $1400 w/o core charge. Now this ain't too shabby of a deal
>-especially
>considering that I can probably get $350 for the 4K with .75 fifth and
>Velocity
>Stage 1 limited slip kit. Add that together and I'm stylin' for about
>$1100. This

That's a sweet deal, but do you have good information on reliability?  I
don't, but I've heard things.... The nice thing about a cylinder head is
you port it once and then you're done; you don't have to worry about the
part failing, no matter how hard you push it.  We all know how reliable
VW's 5-spd boxes are, even when "rebuilt" and equipped with bolt kits or
what have you.  I can't see an add-on 6-spd conversion being any more
reliable.

But then again, it's your dosh, not mine :)