RE: 6-speed trans or p&p 16v head?

Hey, no fair.

Neither, neither I say!!!  Convert to a diesel!  Go to an automatic!!

One of these days (years) I hope to run against you.  But I suspect I will
still be using a 1.8 8V.  I want to have a chance!

Anyway, this is for the rally pig, right?.

If so, what do you need 6 gears for?  Have you ever run out of 5th?  I've
only hit 7 grand in 4 twice. (On the same _long_ straight section run both
directions.)  Isn't it amazing how gravel saps the power?  For rallying, I
think getting more power from the head, and more traction through a
mini-slipped, welded, or quaifed differential would be the way to go.

Now, after you've got the quaife, the head done-with 304 cams, and you've
got 250 hp, but a powerband of 7200 to 8500, THEN you need a tranny to keep
it in that tiny powerband, but of course it would have to be a seven speed
squential shift xtrac like the real 2 liter rally cars have.

Well, that's my plan anyway.