Re: 6-speed trans or p&p 16v head?

"Crane, Damien" wrote:

> Hey, no fair.
> Neither, neither I say!!!  Convert to a diesel!  Go to an automatic!!

Actually an intercooled biturbo diesel Scirocco with *manual* transmission
might be a formidable rally weapon.

> One of these days (years) I hope to run against you.  But I suspect I will
> still be using a 1.8 8V.  I want to have a chance!

Heh, against da natty Dread 'ere? Nah, me not tink so, seh? Dread Scotty be
runnin' tings, bwoy! EASY!

Ahemm.... pardon me...

> Anyway, this is for the rally pig, right?.

No, actually. The Rally Rabbit (a.k.a. "War pig") is going to get the 4.25
final drive plus Quaiffe treatment one of these days.

> If so, what do you need 6 gears for?  Have you ever run out of 5th?  I've
> only hit 7 grand in 4 twice. (On the same _long_ straight section run both
> directions.)

Well, the 6-speed will eventually get dropped into the '80 Rocco 2.0l 16v car.
I'm planning on running a 3.94 final drive and .91 fifth/.71. sixth. And as far
as rallying is concerned, nah. I've never ever run out of 5th gear. In fact, I
don't think that I've ever broken 100mph on a stage before. I think that I got
it up to about 94 at STPR, though. That was truly inspiring moment. I faded the
brakes (10.1" vented) slowing down from that.
--
Scott F. Williams
NJ Scirocco nut